Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2023

The Worst Five Years: Year 3

 Year 3: EPIC. But not the good kind of epic.

When I first started at the hospital they had an archaic computer system that reminded me of MS-DOS. When they announced that we were upgrading to a new system called EPIC I was thrilled. The original person who was going to go to the trainings had moved out of state, so I mentioned that I'd be willing to do it, because I love computers. They had someone else in mind but I think a family member ended up having some health issues and she decided not to do it, and I was up next. We had originally been told that the training was about 2 straight weeks and then 4 more weeks of intermittent training. In reality it was six weeks of living in a hotel and training Monday-Friday, two hours from home. We were being trained to be the trainers for the rest of the hospital, and another hospital in the health system. None of this was made clear to us in the beginning. So after the six weeks of being away from home we implemented classes and training and traveled to New Hampshire for a couple months before attending their "Go-Live" when the system went live. We had trainers there in every department 24/7 for the first two weeks. Then we came back to our own hospital and started the process all over again. I was basically a full time instructor for months, and then we had our own "Go-Live" with 24/7 support. That was August through June? of my second year of nursing. 



 

Up next 

Year 4: Travel Nursing


No comments:

Post a Comment