Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Describe the life you want

I downloaded yet another book about decluttering this morning. Because obviously the secret to getting my life together is sitting around reading books about getting my life together. 

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo. 



Task #1: Describe the life you want. In detail.

Coming up with this list was actually easier than I thought. I just went chronological through what I wished a typical day would look like. 
  • I want to wake up in the morning to a clean house
  • I want everyone to be able to get dressed in one swoop, without having to dig for clean, matching clothes.
  • I want to feed my family some sort of quick, healthy, pre-made breakfast.
  • I want my children to clean up after themselves.
  • I want to have lunches ready to go the night before.
  • I want to get everyone out the door with plenty of time to spare.
  • I don't want to be responsible for all of the critters every morning. 
  • I want to get in a clean, reliable car and go to work/school.
  • I want my brain to be able to focus during the day. 
  • I want to eat a lunch that I brought from home, that is not PB&J.
  • I want to come home to a clean house and put my pre-planned dinner together and into the oven and then spend time with the kids while it's cooking. 
  • I want to fly kites with the kids.
  • I want my husband to be happy to come home. 
  • I want to clean up quickly after dinner. 
  • I want to spend time with the kids after dinner, and then put them to bed at 7:30 every night.
  • I want to spend time with my husband after the kids go to bed.
  • I want to go to bed at a reasonable time. 
Sheesh. That's quite a list of just the logistics of the day. She also wants me to go into greater detail about things such as: 
  • I want my furniture to match
  • I want my bedroom to be a sanctuary where everything matches.
  • I want my home to be peaceful and smell nice. 
  • I want the kids' room to stay clean for more than 5 minutes!
  • I want to be able to put together weekly menus and stick to them. 
  • I want to spend more time outside. 
  • I want to read more without feeling guilty.
  • I want to get my homework done before 11pm. 
So that's it. No big deal. 

Step #1 is to explain WHY I want these things? 
  • I want less stress in my life.
  • I want happy, healthy relationships with my family. 
  • I want to do well in school.
  • I want to keep my family healthy. 
  • I want our finances to be stable. 
  • I want to be happy.
There it is. 
What would your answers look like? 

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I found you through Minimalism For The Rest Of Us. I did read Marie Kondos book, loved it and currently in the middle of following the Konmari method.
    I completely related to the 'Ideal Lifestyle You Dream Of'
    I look forward to seeing more posts of your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've recently re-started blogging. It helps me stay motivated!

    ReplyDelete