The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo.
Task #1: Describe the life you want. In detail.
Coming up with this list was actually easier than I thought. I just went chronological through what I wished a typical day would look like.
- I want to wake up in the morning to a clean house
- I want everyone to be able to get dressed in one swoop, without having to dig for clean, matching clothes.
- I want to feed my family some sort of quick, healthy, pre-made breakfast.
- I want my children to clean up after themselves.
- I want to have lunches ready to go the night before.
- I want to get everyone out the door with plenty of time to spare.
- I don't want to be responsible for all of the critters every morning.
- I want to get in a clean, reliable car and go to work/school.
- I want my brain to be able to focus during the day.
- I want to eat a lunch that I brought from home, that is not PB&J.
- I want to come home to a clean house and put my pre-planned dinner together and into the oven and then spend time with the kids while it's cooking.
- I want to fly kites with the kids.
- I want my husband to be happy to come home.
- I want to clean up quickly after dinner.
- I want to spend time with the kids after dinner, and then put them to bed at 7:30 every night.
- I want to spend time with my husband after the kids go to bed.
- I want to go to bed at a reasonable time.
Sheesh. That's quite a list of just the logistics of the day. She also wants me to go into greater detail about things such as:
- I want my furniture to match
- I want my bedroom to be a sanctuary where everything matches.
- I want my home to be peaceful and smell nice.
- I want the kids' room to stay clean for more than 5 minutes!
- I want to be able to put together weekly menus and stick to them.
- I want to spend more time outside.
- I want to read more without feeling guilty.
- I want to get my homework done before 11pm.
So that's it. No big deal.
Step #1 is to explain WHY I want these things?
- I want less stress in my life.
- I want happy, healthy relationships with my family.
- I want to do well in school.
- I want to keep my family healthy.
- I want our finances to be stable.
- I want to be happy.
There it is.
What would your answers look like?